This year, my badass Bible class talked about Timshel, a Hebrew word that has now sprung up in 'East of Eden.' It's making me love the book more. It means "the option" or the "opportunity." The point is that God is constantly laying options before us. He doesn't coerce us, but He gives us options and, simultaneously, the ability to do what's best (which may be what's most difficult).
Anyway, it was such a pivotal lesson for me - and the characters in the book seem pleasantly shaken up about it, too. I'm excited for you all to encounter it.
2 comments:
I'm so glad that you mentioned this part!! It is also a major factor on what sold me on this book. I love the realization of the difference between "you will", "you shall" and "you can". It's amazing how this one word can change so much how society behaves and views their lives.
For sure! And I think it's crucial in religion, where people often forget it's an arrangement they've agreed to - not an obligation forced upon them.
Post a Comment