5.26.2007
East of Eden
So I have not been reading Anna's book (mostly since I just got it yesterday and needed something to fill my time in Utah) But I am almost finished with East of Eden and let me tell you ladies, it is fantastic. I can't stop raving about it to everyone I know. It is such a great story and great writing and a perfect amount of philosophy worked in besides. John Steinbeck is now officially one of my favorite authors. If you haven't read Grapes of Wrath (or read it in high school and hated it like me) you should read it now, it is also amazing. There is something about Steinbeck's writing that makes you really feel for the characters without feeling bad for them. I also love that he intermixes chapters that give you an overview of society so that you can better understand why events are taking place. Anyway, I could go on and on about how much I love it and hopefully the ending lives up to the rest of the book. But even if it doesn't it has been such a good read and I highly highly recommend it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I CANNOT WAIT TO READ IT!!!!!!!!! I love our little unofficial, on-the-side, extra-book passing, Angie. I bet the others are jealous.
they are jealous. and i finished it last night. and the ending was not horrible, therefore i still love the book. and I feel I am becoming less critical with book endings which makes me happy too.
You, critical? I just don't see it. I feel that way about movies - I don't want to hate them, but for the most part they're so dissappointing! Of course, not Dreamgirls.
speaking of dissapointing--I think that the movie "Dancer in the Dark" was ridiculous.
AGREED! Angie, Angela & I watched it together (and with her hubby) and none of us liked it...or even thought it was sad, really. The consensus was that the whole situation was completely avoidable. Let's discuss!
how did you all not think dancer in the dark was sad??? i watched it with two other people who are (like myself) not criers, and all three of us cried. granted i was about 17 when i watched it....maybe my movie opinions have changed since then. but i thought it was a great movie and really really sad. maybe you should think about it less logically.
Post a Comment