That's right, I read 3 books this past week. I've had a little time on my hands and little internet/tv to distract me. So I read: Letter to a Christian Nation (Sam Harris), This Side of Paradise (F. Scott Fitzgerald) and The Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls). Here are my brief reviews.
Letter to a Christian Nation: This was a really quick read and it gave a really great overview of the book I am reading now (The End of Faith by Sam Harris). For the past several years my faith has been in a steady decline and I have a feeling that between "Letter" and "End of Faith" that this may indeed be the official end of my faith. This book was really smart and honest and fairly well articulated a lot of what I have been feeling.
This Side of Paradise: I am not a big Fitzgerald fan and I didn't particularly enjoy this book. The writing style was all over the place and I felt little to no compassion for the main character. Even though I could relate somewhat to his search for his identity and purpose in life mostly I found him to be arrogant and whiny.
Glass Castle: Anna gave me this book for my birthday and I really loved it. One of my favorite books in a long time. It was interesting and thoughtful and gave such a poetic view of the loss of a child's innocence. I didn't even realize until about 2/3 thru that it was a memoir. Anyway, I thought it was great and actually left it in Wisconsin for my mom to read. Thanks Anna!
So that is it, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Lolita!
2 comments:
I'm so glad you liked Glass Cas! Also, you still win the prize for most motivated reader.
You have made me want to read Glass Castle. Who do I mail books to now? I thought it was Tera? I am sorry that I am so disorganized for some reason.
Post a Comment