A few good things have happened in the past few days. 1) My computer (although not completely healthy) has regained it's ability to connect to wireless and 2) I have finally torn myself away from the tv long enough to read a good chunk of Pi. And that is quite a feat when you haven't had cable in almost a year. So Pi is really growing on me. After 150 pages, we finally got to where the back-of-the-book synopsis starts. And that is Pi trapped on a boat with a tiger, hyena and orangutan. It's a pretty interesting scenario. The only thing that bothers me is that I have virtually no knowledge of boats/boating and I can't visualize exactly what is happening. There is much hiding and crawling around and I can only picture a small canoe so I'm having a hard time believing first, all of them fitting and secondly them hiding from each other. I might have to do some wikapediaing. Yes, I made that a verb.
Also, I believe that this is a work of fiction, but there are randomly chapters written in italics that describe the authors meetings with "real" Pi. They are really short but possibly my favorite part of the book. There are great moments of foreshadowing and the step out of chronological order reminds me of John Irving's style of writing which I love. Oops, time for rehearsal, I guess that is all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment