9.04.2007

Post Lolita, Post Mormonism

So I finished Lolita a week or so ago and just realized that I never blogged my final reaction. I was so loving the first half of the book and then when Humbert finally "got" Lolita I was...well considerably more disturbed and waaaay less intrigued by the book. I still thought it was a great book, I just loved the first half a lot more.

Since then I have almost finished "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. It is a history of the Mormon faith and how it came to be. And it is fascinating, especially having spent some time in Salt Lake this past spring and experiencing the culture first hand. The LDS church had some crazy beginnings/founders and a pretty violent history, which of course is typical of most religions. I think what makes this so much more interesting is that it all happened so recently. Anyway, it's a pretty interesting and relatively easy read if anyone has any interest in the Mormons.

And Anna, I PROMISE I will choose a new book in the next day or so.

1 comment:

al said...

You better.

(Just kidding. No presh.)