4.17.2007

Late night Musings

Allright, I promised Anna a book blog this evening. And it's only 10:50 in Utah so I think I am still making the deadline. So I believe I have decided on a book for this exchange and it will be Life of Pi. My reading skills at this high altitude are not as stellar as in the Midwest and I don't know if I can make it thru two long books in the next few weeks. But here are my first impressions of Pi. I am not in love with it. But it is keeping me fairly interested. It seems to be a good mix of story and philosophy which I usually love so hopefully it will grow on me more. One passage did strike me the other day. Pi (the main character, obviously) is talking about religion and he has a particular dislike of agnostics. As someone who identifies herself as agnostic my attention perked up immediately. Pi thinks that choosing doubt as a philosophy for life is the same as choosing immobility as a means for transportation. While I don't necessarily agree with that statement it is the first time I have realized that for the last few years I have chosen a life of doubt over a life of belief. And that gives me something to think about, which is maybe the sign of a good book. Hmm....more ponderings later.

No comments: