First I want to thank Anna for inviting me to join this little book club. I've always wanted to be in a book club but alas my crazy schedule never lets me have any book fun. Secondly, hello to Angela and Tera. I've heard so much about you from Anna and now I'm excited to get to know you a little for myself.
So since I don't know all of you very well I thought I would tell you about the last couple of books I read so that you get an idea of the books I read and enjoy/don't enjoy. The last book I read was How to be Good by Nick Hornby and it was great. Nick Hornby has quickly become one of my favorite authors. He wrote About a Boy, High Fidelity, ect ect. He is so funny and has such a great insight into relationships and life. How to be Good is about a woman who is on the verge of divorce when her husband goes thru a "spiritual" awakening. Unfortunately he gets a little extreme and she is then forced to learn "how to be good". It's a really great (and did I mention funny) look at what it means to be a good person and the struggle to maintain a good marriage and a good life. I really liked it and would recommend to all.
Just before the Hornby, I read the Shipping News by Annie Proulx. And it's safe to say that I really really disliked it. The plot was virtually non existent and the characters were not intriguing or interesting in any way. The book won the Pulitzer's prize and I am honestly baffled as to why. I found the language to be choppy and the main character was a "journalist" so he often thought in headlines which could have been done really well but was not. It has been a while since I have disliked a book so much.
Now I am reading the Life of Pi by Yann Martel which I just started but like so far. And I am listening to Tis' by Frank McCourt which is the sequel to Angela's Ashes. It took me a little to get into it, but now I think it's great. I'll keep you updated on both. Life of Pi could be the book I choose to pass along unless I finish it too quickly and then I will move on to East of Eden by Steinbeck since Anna would like to read it. And I am excited to get Snow since I always want to read more non fiction but am just too heavily drawn to the fiction. So yeah for new book clubs and new friends!
angie
4.12.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yay, Angie! Way to contribute.
By the way, don't give me this quote "journalist" business! Are you disrespecting my profession??
Also, here's my chant:
East of Eden! East of Eden! East of Eden!
the "journalist" is quoted because i didn't think he was a real journalist. not because i disrespect journalism in any way.
Don't think I'm serious! Now I feel guilty.
Hello Angie!! WELCOME to our circle! I am super glad that your name is Angie for several, unrelated reasons: 1. My name is Angela, so it will be easy to remeber.
2. Your name begins with an "A" so we don't have to change the name of our book club
3. Angie rhymes with Phalange
I know that when making lists you must have at least 3 points, and I only had two so the third one was born of pure weirdness.
Also-on a related note I vote for you to send "Life og Pi" and since you send books to me I think my vote should count MORE then the other girls. :Plol
I disagree with Angela. Angie, since you and I are real-life friends, and not just blog friends, you should choose East of Eden. (If you don't, I'm just going to end up reading it on the side....which will be impossible and so hard for me. Do you pity me yet?)
Post a Comment